Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Porto, Portugal

10/14/09 - 10/16/09












I flew to Portugal for a couple days on a cheap Ryanair flight, and it was sooo nice to be in good weather again! Porto is the second largest city in Portugal, and it's situated on a river at the point where it runs into the Atlantic.







Portugal felt somewhat similar to Spain, and I got away with using my horrible Spanish. One could tell that the country prides itself on having a distinct culture, though, and the atmosphere definitely had its own Portuguese flavor. I can't really put it into words, but it was lovely!
The hostel was one of my favorites thus far. It's in an old three-story house with large ceilings and wooden floors. I woke up the first morning to the cutest kitten coming to cuddle with me - turned out (thankfully) to be the hostel's resident!



Also, northern Portugal is much more affordable than anywhere else I've been in Western Europe. The Big Mac meal was almost the same price as it is in the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment